Self Quiz: Do You Have
Pregnancy / Postpartum Depression or Anxiety?

Self quiz to see if you have postpartum depression

Pregnancy or postpartum anxiety and/or depression can affect any woman. If you experience pregnancy or postpartum depression or anxiety, it can erase the joy out of this time in your life that can be so rewarding.

Take the following self-quiz. If you answer yes to any of the questions below, you may have perinatal depression or anxiety. Print the quiz out and bring it your care provider.



Ask yourself….

____  Are you feeling sad or depressed?

____  Do you feel overwhelmed, anxious, or panicky?

____  Do you feel more irritable or angry with those around you?

____  Are you having problems eating or sleeping?

____  Are you having upsetting/disturbing thoughts that won’t go away?

____  Have you had difficulty bonding with your child?

____  Do you feel as if you are ‘out of control’ or ‘going crazy’?

____  Do you feel like you never should have become a mother?

____  Are you worried that you might hurt your baby or yourself?

Who gets pregnancy and postpartum depression or anxiety?

Pregnancy and postpartum depression/anxiety can happen to ANY woman, regardless of age, education, marital status and income level. It is a medical condition that can be treated successfully. Women are at an increased risk for emotional issues during pregnancy and after childbirth more than other time in their lives.

To learn more about postpartum mental health issues, visit our Postpartum Facts page »

About scary or intrusive thoughts….

  • Intrusive or scary thoughts are negative, unwanted, repetitive thoughts, images and urges that 91% of mothers and 88% of fathers experience.
  • In 3-9% of new mothers, intrusive thoughts are a symptom of a perinatal mood or anxiety disorder and may cause extreme fear, anxiety and self-doubt.
  • Intrusive or scary thoughts are NOT a sign of psychosis. A mother or father’s distress about these thoughts is a good sign.
  • ALL women who report having intrusive thoughts should be referred to a mental health provider for proper assessment andtreatment. This symptom is very treatable.